Sunday, January 6, 2013

Changelings...

I have been watching quite a few movies lately since the TV shows have been so abominable.  I have been amazed by a couple of actors that happened to be in several movies lately - the parts they have played are extremely different.  The talent necessary to conform to such different parts is exceptional.  Guy Pearce is the first on my list.  On New Year's Day we watched the movie "Lawless" in which he plays an evil government anti-bootlegger.  Slicked back hair, straight-faced, and causes chills when he looks your way.  2 nights later we watched LA Confidential in which he plays an up and coming police detective.  Straight-laced (instead of faced), squeaky clean (instead of greased back) and near sighted.  Very different.  Today we happened upon one of my all time favorite movies - Adventures of Priscilla - Queen of the Desert.  I suddenly realized that he was one of the actors.  So now he plays a not-straight, superbly made-up, happy drag queen.  He plays this part equally well.  Talk about a chameleon.  I checked IMDB( IMDB-Guy Pearce) and found out he's also been in some other good movies that I've watched, like "The King's Speech" and "The Count of Monte Cristo".  He's got 5 movies coming out in the next 2 years.  Someone to definitely watch.

My daughter was watching Priscilla with me today and suddenly gasped - "Mom!  That's Elrond from Lord of the Rings!"  Yes, Hugo Weaving is in Priscilla and in all the Hobbit movies.  IMDB - Hugo Weaving  He is in a myriad of other movies - including one of my daughter's favorites "V is for Vendetta".  Another chameleon.  And I so love his eyebrows.

Tom Brady is another from Lawless that keeps popping up.  Something about him is very appealing - even when being evil/bad.

However, tonight shall be a Downton Abbey night.  It starts the new season tonight and is very addictive.  I think this may be a rerun from last season unfortunately - the last episode in which Shirley MacLaine makes her appearance as the American MIL.  Still, glad it's back onto my Sunday evening schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment